Friday, March 20, 2015

Green Striped Hat- Purlbee Hats for Newborns

I looked everywhere for a pattern that would go well with my green BSJ cardigan, and would use the same sport weight yarn... and came up blank. I guess I sort of don't need a pattern, but I'm such a new knitter that I wanted some guidance!

Finally I settled on trying to adapt the Purlbee Hats for Newborns pattern (free on their website, or on Ravelry). I love the look of all of these the hats... simple, classic, not fussy.... but I thought the stripes would be especially nice with the yarn I had. But they use a very thin line weight. Since I was using a DK/sport weight yarn, I cast on 84 stitches. I calculated that a gauge of about 6.2 stitches per inch would make the 13.5 inch circumference called for by the pattern. When I came to the decreases, I skipped ahead a few rows until the numbers matched 84.

I used magic loop technique with Takumi interchangeable needles.

Unstretched and unblocked, it came out at about a 12 inch circumference. It is very stretchy, and looks about the right size for a baby. We’ll see!



No comments:

Post a Comment