Monday, February 10, 2014

Toddler Princess Dress: Simplicity 2237

I should sew more things for my little girl!

It is a bit crazy to spend so much time crafting something that will get worn only a few times, but it is totally worth it to see her enjoying something I'm really proud to have made.


This dress was made for a special occasion- a friend's wedding. She wasn't a flower girl, but she sort of stole the show.



I sort of went all-out on the fabrics. The bodice is a japanese plum blossom print from Fabric Tales. It was so exciting to get a package from Japan!



The skirt is 4 layers. The top floaty layer is pink silk organza. The layer under that is white silk charmeuse. Then there is a layer of tulle, and a muslin inner skirt for comfort.



The back is elasticized with a zipper and a simple tie for the halter neck. This is a great design for maximum wear, I'm hoping it will fit her for at least a year.



Overall the dress was pretty straightforward to sew. I did a muslin to check the size, but otherwise I used the pattern straight out of the envelope. I didn't really follow the directions, but I did glance at them to figure out how to get the elastic in the back of the dress. The zipper went in without any trouble at all.


Hemming the organza was a bit of a trick-- I did a simple rolled hem, but I just couldn't get it perfectly straight. I don't think it really matters a lot, it has a beautiful effect all the same. I made the organza layer just a tad longer than the charmeuse, and let the tulle stick out a couple inches at the bottom.





This is one of my favorite things I have ever sewed. And she just looks so totally cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment